JulieM

Rick Yancey
Peter Clines
The Light Between Oceans: A Novel
M.L. Stedman
The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It
Kelly McGonigal
Louise Erdrich
Love Medicine: Newly Revised Edition
Louise Erdrich

Kafka on the Shore

Kafka on the Shore - Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami I picked up this one since it made it onto the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list. For the first 10 hours of the book, I was completely enthralled. The writing style is lyrical - wonderful imagery and a captivating plot. The hero, Kafka Tamura, runs away from home, trying to thwart his father's prophecy that Kafka will kill his father and sleep with his mother (yes - another Greek classic!). The book has some interesting magical realism (talking cats, Colonel Sanders of KFC fame comes to life, etc.) and some unexplained plot twists. The problem I had with this book is at the end, the plot twists were still unexplained. Definitely one of those 'huh?' moments. I loved the writing style, so I will try other Murakami books - he has won several awards and has other titles on the 1001 list. Anyone out there read this book? I'd love to hear an explanation!