JulieM

Rick Yancey
Peter Clines
The Light Between Oceans: A Novel
M.L. Stedman
The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It
Kelly McGonigal
Louise Erdrich
Love Medicine: Newly Revised Edition
Louise Erdrich

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: A Novel

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer By far one of the best books I have listened to this year is Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud, and Incredibly Close. Appropriately, I finished this book yesterday, 8 years after the attack on the World Trade Center. The 9 year old hero, Oskar Schell, loses his father in the 9/11 terrorist attack. After finding a key hidden in his father's closet, Oskar embarks on a search of the 5 boroughs of NYC, looking for the lock that will fit this key. In the days and weeks following 9/11, I remember reading every article about what was happening in NYC. But eventually, all those sad stories - families torn apart, people putting up posters looking for someone, people holding hands as they jumped out of the WTC - would make me cry and I had to stop. This book made me relive some of the horror and sadness of those days. But while I was listening, I found the process cathartic. Did I cry? Buckets -but I also laughed and I absolutely loved this book. Extremely well done and Incredibly moving - 5 stars.