JulieM

Rick Yancey
Peter Clines
The Light Between Oceans: A Novel
M.L. Stedman
The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It
Kelly McGonigal
Louise Erdrich
Love Medicine: Newly Revised Edition
Louise Erdrich

Suite Francaise

Suite Française - Irène Némirovsky, Sandra Smith I just finished Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. What makes this book so compelling is the story behind the story. Irene Nemirovsky was a published French author before World War II. A Jewish immigrant from Russia, Nemirovsky had a plan of creating 5 mini novels to form a suite of stories about France's occupation during the war. She completed 2 of them, before she and her husband were deported to Auschwitz where they both were killed. The 2 stories were found 60 years after her death by Nemirovsky's daughters. Althought the first story, Storm in June, was good, I really enjoyed the 2nd story, Dolce. Set in a French village occupied by the Germans, the story describes the relationhips between the villagers and the Germans. Through every day contact, the Germans change from being "the enemy", to acquaintances, friends, and lovers. Fantastic story and beautifully narrated by Barbara Rosenblat. I was so used to her funny narrations of mysteries that I was surprised and impressed with the depth of feeling that she could convey in this sad and serious story.